This recipe is just one of the most simple and delicious things I’ve ever eaten. It’s so genius that I can’t take the credit for it and I have to give props to my Aunt Kate. You know her, she’s the maker of this famous pepperoni bread and the queen of all tasty appetizers. I swear every time Bryan knows Aunt Kate is coming to a get together, he asks of she’s making her pepperoni bread or this zucchini filled buttery goodness of a pie.Traditionally, Kate makes her zucchini pie with you guessed it, pie crust. I had some left over frozen puffed pastry in my freezer to use up so I did a quick little substitute for this recipe. Also, Bryan proceeded to buy tons of vegetables at Eastern Market last week so this appetizer was made out of necessity and maybe a dash of craving it? Feel free to mix any kind of squash or zucchini you have on hand, you really can’t go wrong with anything baked on a bed of puffed pastry!
- 1 sheet frozen puffed pastry
- ½ zucchini, sliced ⅛ in thick
- ½ yellow squash, sliced ⅛ in thick
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ c parmesan cheese
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Thaw out the puffed pastry according to the package directions. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a large rectangle.
- Use a mandolin or slice the zucchini and squash into ⅛ inch thick slices.
- Layer the zucchini and squash like shingles on the pastry, leaving a one inch border of dough. There should be enough zucchini and squash for four rows of shingles.
- Sprinkle on salt, pepper, oregano and a handful of parmesan cheese.
- Fold the sides of the pastry to complete the border around the vegetables and brush the sides of the dough with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes then place foil around the outer edges and finish in the oven for 5 minutes until golden.
This song reminds me of a little bit of Motown mixed with a guitar lick from the movie, “La Bamba.” Weird, I know, but it’s an easy breezy listen and perfect to play while preparing this simple recipe.
Sign up and subscribe HERE to Keys to the Cucina and receive notifications when a new post goes live!