If you ever find yourself in Annapolis, Maryland, head to Fado’s and enjoy a couple of their Smoked Salmon Bites. They were so good they inspired me to create my own version with a different twist. I was at Fado’s for a work function and was mingling with my co-workers over a couple of cocktails, when the waiter walked by with some hors d’oeuvres. I grabbed the smoked salmon concoction, which was over top a mini potato pancake, and I just about died because it was so delicious. I proceeded to house eight or ten of these bad boys, all the while trying to figure out just what exactly was in it. After racking brains with my co-workers days later, we came up with capers, red onion and a hint of lemon.
For my variation, I baked up some homemade garlic-rubbed crostini to serve the salmon on, and a lemon and chive Greek yogurt sauce to dollop on top. I went heavy on the capers and I added the zest of one lemon to add a nice bright acidity to the salmon.
The jam of the recipe is “Back to Black” by Amy Winehouse. I sang this song with the band that night at Fado’s, so I thought it’d be appropriate to pair it with this recipe.
- For Salmon:
- 3 oz smoked salmon, diced
- 4 tsp capers, roughly chopped
- ¼ red onion diced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- For Greek Yogurt Sauce:
- 3 oz greek yogurt
- 6 chives, diced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- For Crostini:
- 1 French Baguette
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ garlic clove
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut french baguette into about ¼ inch slices.
- Arrange on sheet pan and brush with olive oil.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes and rub with one half of garlic clove right after they come out of the oven.
- Combine all ingredients for salmon in one bowl and stir together until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the Greek yogurt sauce ingredients until incorporated.
- To serve, place a teaspoon of salmon filling onto each crostini, and top with half a teaspoon of Greek yogurt sauce.